- Part I - The Beginning
- Part II - Places in Sodor
- Part III - People and History
- Part IV - Locomotives
- There have been three Sir Topham Hatts: Sir Topham Hatt I, Sir Charles Topham Hatt and Sir Stephen Topham Hatt.
- This book goes into Sodor's history before the events of the Railway Series took place, and mentions Sodor's many kings and history.
- Jock is mentioned for the first time, but does not make his official debut in the Railway Series until Jock the New Engine.
- Sigrid of Arlesdale and the Blister Twins are mentioned for the first time.
- Shane Dooiney is referred to by name for the first, and only, time.
- The "Coffee Pots" are mentioned again. This book goes into more detail about them, and explains that they were scrapped when their branch line was handed over to Thomas.
- It is confirmed in this book that the North Western Railway is home to over eighty engines.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.